Confronting the “Hidden Disorder”
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, ADHD, can affect young and old lives – from personal to professional. There is a common misconception that ADHD is only found in children; however, this is not true.
ADHD can be detrimental from child to adult. ADHD is often described as a “hidden disorder” – meaning it can go unnoticed and untreated for years. In our experience, our counselors and psychiatrist have helped many people with ADHD have successful lives in their careers and personal lives. If you think you may have ADHD, examinee some of these common symptoms:
- You get distracted in the middle of conversations
- You can’t seem to pay attention and stay on task
- You tend to overthink past mistakes
- You are described as a bad listener
- You can’t seem to follow directions
- You can’t seem to pay attention as you read this article
- You are disorganized and procrastinate often
- You misplace everything
- Yo have poor self control
- You interrupt others
Treatment of ADHD
If you went through the list above, and feel as if you have ADHD, you are not alone. But before you diagnose yourself with ADHD, having some of the symptoms does not mean you have ADHD.
There are different treatments for ADHD: some are psychotherapy based; such as learning skills and techniques to handle common symptoms. There are also medications that can help.
If you think you have ADHD, you are not alone. Contact Thriveworks Richmond to schedule an appointment, and start making important changes to alleviate ADHD symptoms.